Eggsacks






Eggsacks. The fish like to eat them, but I hate to tie them. I've got a good 200 tied up and ready to go for tomorrow morning. 200 is probably enough to fish 3 days, but you can never, ever have enough eggsacks. (or eggs for that matter)


I've bribed myself with an experimental salmon dish. It involves pineapple, a charcoal grill, and butter. We'll see. It sure looks good. I've got a good ole standby glaze to keep the funky pineapple salmon company in there.


Ok, a little more on eggsacks. They are best tied with exactly 350ml of strong whiskey in your body, that makes both the tedium and the smell easier to stand. Actually, the smell isn't that bad, but since I'm in the trade it doesn't bother me. The whiskey is helpful but completely optional. Morning coffee works, as well as grilled salmon, which was tonight's substance of choice.

This is B+ grade salmon skein, September 2006 vintage, harvested from the Big Manistee. The product was well cared for, chilled, the eggs were then carefully scraped and placed on cure. The mealy/fishy/pungent/acrid smell is punctuated by hints of vanilla and hyssop.

I tie three kinds of eggsacks. Small, Large, and Mongo. All of them have their place, but I've found it's not a scientific as you might think. In ohio, you fish big sacks when the water is dirty, and small sacks when the water is clean. Tomorrow I'm going to fish clean water, and maybe some dirty water. I have a lot of both, and my fingers stink like salmon poot.

0 Responses to “Eggsacks”

Post a Comment



|